words may help you:
useful / keep – information / solve – millions – second / help - learn – languages /
nowadays – everywhere / banks – schools / save – time / think – wonderful - invention
III. Spelling ( 6 Marks )
A. Fill in the missing letters : 4 x ½
1 fa - thf - l مخلص / وفي
2 p - rad - se الجنة
3 - mpt - فارغ / خالي
4 c - r - يشفي / يعالج
B. Write the short / long form: 4 x ½
2 He’s bought
C. Combine the following : 4 x ½
1 study + s
2 lie + ing
3 wife + s
4 stop + ed
Reading Comprehension 10M
Read the following passage, then answer the questions below:
In 670 Albarid was started. Men on horses carried messages along important routes. They were marked by signs on the ground. Every ten kilometres there were a rest house. There the letters were given to another man. Pigeons were used after that to send messages among countries because they can know their way back. The written messages were tied to the bird's legs.
The telephone was invented by Alexander Bell in 1876. It soon became one of the most useful machines in the world. The fax machine appeared in 1980s. It copies written messages and sends them along telephone wires. Mobiles and the internet are also used nowadays to send messages very quickly.
A ) State whether the statements are true ( ) or false ( X ) (4 x 1 = 4 marks)
1. Albarid was started in 760. ( )
2. There was a rest house every twelve kilometres. ( )
3. Pigeons can know their way back. ( ) 4. People use the internet to send messages very fast. ( )
B ) From a) , b) and c) choose the right answer: (3 x 1 = 3 marks)
5. Postmen ________________ messages on horses.
a) used to carry b) used to write c) used to cut
6. The routes were marked ___________________.
a) by maps b) by signs c) by clouds
7. The messages were tied to the _________________ .
a) pigeon’s head b) pigeon’s wings c) pigeon’s legs
C ) Answer the following questions: (3 x 1 = 3 marks)
8. How could postmen know their way in 670?
9. When did the fax machine appear?
10. Why did postmen meet at the rest house?
Time allowed : 1 ¼ Hours
I. Language Exercises ( 22 Marks )
A ) Fill in the spaces with words from the list : 6 x ½ = 3
rope – during – selfish – obey – together – Japanese - whispered.
1. A : What do Muslims do ___________________ the day of Ramadan?
B : They fast from sunrise to sunset.
2. A : ______________________ cars are usually very good ones.
B : You’re absolutely right.
3. A : I’m afraid. The camels might run away.
B : Don’t worry. I’ve tied them with a strong _____________________.
4. A : I _______________ my words to Fahed because I didn’t want anyone to hear me.
B : You mean you wanted it to be a secret between you both?
5. A : Khaled and Adel usually sit _______________________.
B : Don’t you know? They are very close friends.
6. A : My parents love me so much because I always ______________ them.
B : That’s what we all should do.
B ) Choose the right answer from A ), B ) and C ) : 4 x ½ = 2
7. A : My father _____________ to give me a nice present when I pass my exams.
B : You should study hard, then.
A ) advised B ) asked C ) promised
8. A : There is something in this bag. _________________ what it is.
B : Maybe a book .
A ) Guess B ) Send C ) Mend
9. A : What are _________________ used for?
B : Carrying water, of course.
A ) packets B ) buckets C ) parrots
10. A : Why do stay in your room when someone visits us?
B : I feel ________________ in front of strangers.
A ) proud B ) fair C ) shy
C ) Choose the right answer from A ), B ) and C ) : 4 x ½ = 2
11- A: Ali doesn't like watching TV ?
B: Like me. I don't like it ________________.
A ) either B ) too C ) also
12- A: Which animal is ________________ , the elephant or the giraffe?
B: Don't you know?! The giraffe, of course.
A ) tall B ) tallest C ) taller
13- A: Have you ________________ your homework , Salem?
B- No , not yet.
A ) finishing B ) finishes C ) finished
14- A: When did you see the film?
B: After I ________________ my room.
A ) was cleaned B ) had cleaned C ) have cleaned
D ) Do as shown between brackets : 4 x 1 = 4
15- People cut wood for making furniture. ( passive )
16- My grandfather drinks a lot of coffee every day. ( negative )
17- The national Day of Kuwait is on February 25th. ( question)
18- An ox doesn't give us milk. ( plural )
E ) Match the following pairs : 4 x ½ = 2
19- Sweets are my favorite food ( ) What a fantastic animal!
20- You’re proud of your presents? ( ) I've got the top mark in my exams.
21- Why are you so happy? ( ) Be careful! You'll get overweight.
22- The dog can lead blind people. ( ) I haven’t seen him for a long time.
( ) Yes. I like them all.
F ) Write what you would say or do in these situations : 2 x 1 = 2
23. Your friend has bought a new car.
24. Someone says, “ robots are not useful”.
G ) Fill in the missing parts in the following dialogues :3 x 1 = 3
25- A: ____________________________________________________________________?
B: I'd like three chocolate ice creams , please.
26- A: ____________________________________________________________________?
B: Of course, you can.
27- A : What about going to the internet café ?
H ) Answer the following questions : 4 x 1 = 4
28- What does a detective do?
29- Which outdoor activities are you interested in?
30- How many times should Muslims go round Al Kaa'ba?
31- Where does a king usually live?
II. Handwriting & Punctuation ( 4 Marks )
A ) Re-write the following sentences in good cursive handwriting: 2 x 1= 2
1. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
2. Two heads are better than one.
B ) Punctuate the following sentences : 4 x ½ = 2
when do you have a geography lesson nearly every day